Plum chutney is a great way to use up a glut of plums if you've got a tree in your garden, or just a really lovely weekend project when plums are in season and you can buy them in abundance in the supermarkets. Thischutney recipegoes really well with cold meats and strong cheeses which makes it ideal for a dinner party or with brie or goat's cheese in a crusty baguette.
This plum chutney recipe needs at least a month to mature before it's ready to be consumed, so it's perfect to make when plums are in season around August, September and October. Making this delicious plum chutney in early autumn means it's ready for around Christmas time. If you put it in nice jars and wrap it in ribbon, it makes a lovelyedible giftthat's all the more special for being homemade.
This is such an easy plum chutney recipe that you'll find yourself making year after year. If you're new to chutney making, this plum chutney recipe is a great place to start because it doesn't need any special equipment, just a preserving or other non-corrosive pan and some sterilised jars.
Ready to make our simple plum chutney recipe? Just follow the simple steps below.
How to make Plum Chutney
1. Put all the ingredients in the pan on a medium heat and bring slowly to the boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat down to a simmer and leave to cook until well reduced and thick, stirring often as it thickens so that it doesn’t catch on the bottom.
2. Pot into hot sterilized jars and seal. Leave the chutney to mature for at least a month before eating.
- 1kg plums, halved and stoned
- 2 medium sized Bramley apples (approx 350g, 12oz), peeled, cored and chopped
- 250g onions, chopped
- 150g raisins
- 250g light muscovado sugar
- 500ml red wine vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground allspice
- 2tsp salt
You will need:
- A preserving or non corrosive pan
- Sterilized jars
- Vinegar proof lids
Top Tip for making Plum Chutney
Remember that chutneys become thicker when cold. Always label the jars when cold so that the labels stick.
Oscars Buzz: Everything you need to know about the 8 films nominated for best picture
Before the Oscars air this weekend, check out this year's nominated movies and get bingeing before the big night
By Rylee Johnston •
Chrissy Teigen's favorite concealer is a beauty splurge, but you'll definitely want one for your makeup bag
Dark circles, be gone!
By Danielle Valente •
Prince Harry reunited with his father and brother for two hours after Prince Philip’s funeral
The family reportedly talked away from the cameras at Windsor Castle
By Emma Shacklock •