- 185g (6½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 185g (6½oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 432g tin sliced pineapple, drained and roughly puréed
- 100g (4oz) desiccated coconut
- 185g (6½oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- for the frosting:
- 200g (7oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) creamed coconut (the block, not the cream), grated
- 150g (5oz) full-fat Philadelphia cream cheese
- 3tbsp Malibu or 2tbsp golden rum
- 200g (7oz) icing sugar, sifted
- juice 2 limes
- 50g (2oz) toasted desiccated coconut, and dried pineapple rings (available from health food stores), to decorate
- you will need:
- 20cm (8in) springform cake tin, lightly oiled and base lined
Heat the oven to 170 C, 150 C fan, 325 F, gas 3. Whisk the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the eggs, beating well after each addition, then fold in the puréed pineapple, coconut, flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Transfer to the prepared cake tin, and bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. You may need to cover the top of the cake with tin foil after about 40 minutes.
When cooked, remove from the oven, cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Slice carefully into 3 layers once completely cooled.
To make the frosting, place all the ingredients in a food processor, and blend briefly until smooth. Transfer to the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up. Spread the bottom layer of the cake with 2 to 3tbsp frosting, repeat with the next layer too, then use the remaining icing to cover the sides and top of the cake.
Top Tip for making Piña Colada Cake with Coconut Frosting
Place the cake on a large board and scatter three-quarters of the toasted desiccated coconut in a circle around the base. Using a palette knife, scoop up the coconut and pat it gently and evenly onto the sides of the cake, then scatter the remaining coconut on the top. Pile the pineapple rings in the centre and dust with icing sugar. This cake will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.