For a side dish idea that’s warming and full of flavour give this simple courgette recipe a go this week and you’ll not be disappointed.
It’s full of vegetables with plenty of courgettes, garlic and sweet potatoes that will help you on your way to five-a-day, plus the sweet pear makes a really nice twist too. Scattered with hazelnuts, this salad has a satisfying crunch to it too. This recipe serves eight as a side dish, but you could cook up a big batch for you lunch this week too.
- 1 garlic bulb, broken into separate unpeeled cloves
- 1kg sweet potatoes, skins scrubbed, cut lengthways into wedges
- 2 large pears, halved, core removed, cut into thin wedges
- 1-2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp rosemary leaves
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp sesame oil
- 3 courgettes, quartered lengthways
- 100g hazelnuts, skins off, roughly chopped
- 100g baby spinach (or use large-leaf spinach and coarsely shred it)
Preheat the oven to 180C, gas 4.
Put the garlic in a pan, cover with 3cm water and add ½tsp fine salt. Bring to the boil, then cook over a medium heat until the water has almost evaporated. Drain.
Put the garlic, sweet potatoes, pears, chillies, rosemary, olive oil and half the sesame oil into a roasting dish. Sprinkle on 1tsp salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, tossing twice.
Add the courgettes, hazelnuts and remaining sesame oil and toss together, then cook until the pears and sweet potato are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and stir in the spinach.