- 350g (12oz) walnuts, toasted
- 3tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 litre (1¾pt) good chicken stock
- 10 free-range chicken thighs, skinless but on the bone
- 5-7tbsp pomegranate molasses (depending on taste)
- handful pomegranate seeds, spring onions, and chopped coriander, to garnish
Blend the walnuts in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Heat a large sauté pan and add the butter. When hot, add the onion and garlic and sweat gently for 10 to 15 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
Add the walnuts to the pan with the chicken stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Season and add the chicken thighs, making sure that the liquid is covering them, then return to a very gentle simmer and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring from time to time. Cover the pan if it looks like it’s getting too dry.
Add the pomegranate molasses, check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Scatter with the pomegranate seeds and coriander and serve with Persian rice.