HOW TO MAKE PEACH AND PANETTONE TRIFLE
For the praline:
- 75g (3oz) whole blanched almonds
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- For the base
- 2 x 460g jars of halved peaches in Cognac (we used Opies)
- 300g (10oz) panettone, thickly sliced (we used Arden & Amici)
For the custard:
- 6 egg yolks
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 2tsp cornflour
- 600ml (1pt) double cream
- ¾tsp vanilla extract
- For the syllabub
- 300ml (½pt) double cream
- 4tbsp Muscat
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 1tsp orange, zest
You will need:
- Baking sheet, oiled
- For the praline, toast the almonds in a heavy-based frying pan, set aside while you make the caramel. Heat the caster sugar in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat until it turns a rich caramel brown, tilting the pan occasionally to stir. Quickly add the nuts to the caramel, pour onto the oiled baking sheet spreading it around to make a thin layer and leave to cool completely. Break into shards once it has fully cooled.
- Thickly slice the peaches. Place the panettone in the bottom of the trifle bowl. Spoon over the syrup from the jar – you’ll probably just need half so it’s not soggy. Place the peaches on top and leave to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the custard by mixing together the egg yolks with the caster sugar and cornflour using an electric whisk until pale and creamy. Heat the cream and vanilla in a heavy-based pan until scalded, gradually pour the cream onto the sugar mixture, mixing constantly. Return to a clean pan and cook over a moderate heat until thickened whilst continuing to stir. Cool, covered, for 10 minutes then spoon onto the fruit and refrigerate.
- Make the syllabub by whipping the cream with the Muscat, icing sugar and orange zest until soft peaks form.
- Spoon the syllabub over the set custard and decorate with the praline shards when ready to serve. This will keep undecorated in the fridge for to 2 to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Top Tip for making Peach and Panettone Trifle
Instead of the caramel shards, try gold dragées and edible glitter for equal wow factor! Or simply chop blanched, toasted almonds and scatter on top
Prince Andrew will not be attending Queen's birthday parade for Trooping the Colour in June
It's been confirmed that Prince Andrew will be absent from festivities - and here's who will be in his place during the parade
By Lauren Hughes •
This naked retreat has been named as one of 2021's best travel experiences
Nudist holidays are on the up! And this Italian retreat is predicted to be a big hit in 2021...
By Lauren Hughes •
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare look inside her home
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare view with fans
By Selina Maycock •