Extract taken from Paul Hollywood’s British Baking, published by Bloomsbury, £25, hardback
Photography © Peter Cassidy
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together until light and ﬂuffy in a bowl, then beat in the egg yolk, followed by the lemon zest.
- Sift the ﬂour, cornﬂour and bicarbonate of soda together. Stir them into the butter and sugar mixture a spoonful at a time, then bring the mixture together into a dough and knead brieﬂy until smooth.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment. Roll out the dough on a lightly ﬂoured surface to a 5mm thickness. Using a 6.5cm ﬂuted cutter, stamp out rounds and place them on the lined baking trays, pressing the trimmings together and re-rolling them to make more biscuits as necessary.
- Prick the biscuits all over with a fork and chill for 30 minutes; this helps prevent them spreading in the oven. Heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes, until they are just starting to colour. Leave them on the baking trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving, if you like.
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting (optional)
- 1 large egg yolk
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- 100g plain ﬂour
- 100g cornﬂour
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate soda
Premier Inn reports spike in pillow sales following rise of TikTok trend
Have you tried Premier Inn pillows yet?
By Emma Shacklock •
Pippa Middleton’s mother Carole confirms her daughter’s second pregnancy
Kate Middleton’s sister will give her son a new sibling
By Sarah Finley •
Jessica Alba reveals genius tip for reducing under eye puffiness
Jessica Alba's tip for reducing eye puffiness is guaranteed to make you look bright eyed and fresh faced
By Fiona Embleton •