By Woman and Home published
This lovely, moist cider cake from Paul Hollywood uses lovely fruity cider which not only helps the cake rise, but it also keeps it nice and moist and spongy. This cake is perfect served up with a cup of afternoon tea and shared with friends. This recipe will give you 12 slices which makes it ideal for sharing and dusted lightly with icing sugar, it looks really elegant too.
How to make Paul Hollywood's Cider Cake:
Extract taken from Paul Hollywood’s British Baking, published by Bloomsbury, £25, hardback
Photography © Peter Cassidy
- Heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease a deep 18cm round cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with a handheld electric whisk until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon together.
- Fold about a third of the flour mix into the whisked mixture, then fold in half of the cider, with a large metal spoon or spatula. Fold in another third of the flour, then the rest of the cider. Finally fold in the remaining flour until evenly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared cake tin and gently level the surface. Bake for 30–40 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and set aside to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150ml dry cider
- Icing sugar, for dusting
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Air signs—Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius zodiacs explained
Air signs of the zodiac are Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius—here's everything you need to know about what it means to be an air sign
By Rylee Johnston • Published
Anna Hathaway dressed like her character in The Devil Wears Prada and fans can't get enough
The Internet had a lot to say about Anne Hathaway's latest look after she shared it on Instagram...
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Zara and Mike Tindall confuse Australian interviewer with tropical background
The royal couple showed off their funny side in their most recent interview
By Emma Dooney • Published