1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/180C Fan/Gas Mark 6. Chop each beetroot into 6 wedges. Place in a baking tray drizzle with 1tbsp oil and balsamic and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 40 minutes until tender.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute before stirring in the spinach and cooking for 4 minutes until tender.
3. Place the pasta in a pan of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes until al dente. Meanwhile heat the ricotta slightly in a saucepan until just warmed through.
4. Drain the pasta, cut each sheet into four and working quickly lay a sheet of pasta on each plate, spoon over a little ricotta, pesto, beetroot and the spinach mixture. Top with a little ricotta, some mint leaves and scatter with the cheese shavings to serve.
- 750g (1lb 10oz) fresh beetroot, peeled
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100g (4oz) spinach
- 4 large fresh lasagne sheets
- 300g (10oz) ricotta
- 4 tbsp fresh pesto
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tbsp Vegetarian parmesan style cheese – We used Bookhams Vegetarian Pasat cheese
When cooking for vegetarians you can be caught out easily by simple ingredients - pesto for instance is made with parmesan which contains calf rennet. Many pestos available are suitable for vegetarians so just check the ingredients list