If you’re looking something special for a get together but you want to avoid serving meat, give this wonderful butternut squash recipe with goats’ cheese and beetroot a go and everyone will be super satisfied. It’s really easy to put together and tastes great, what more could you want?
HOW TO MAKE BEETROOT, BUTTERNUT AND GOAT'S CHEESE TARTLETS
- 4 beetroot, peeled and cut into sixths
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into sixths
- olive oil, for roasting
- few sprigs rosemary
- 375g (13oz) ready-rolled all-butter shortcrust pastry (we used Dorset Organic)
- 185g (6½oz) crème fraîche
- 200g (7oz) goats' cheese round, sliced into 6
You will need
- 6 x 7.5cm (3in) fluted loose-based flan tins, or a 20-23cm (8-9in) large tin, and baking beans
- Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6. Place the beetroot, squash and onions in a roasting tin, toss with the oil, add the rosemary and season well. Cook for around 30 minutes, until soft and caramelised. Meanwhile, use the pastry to line the flan tins, leaving an overhang of pastry, then blind bake for around 15 minutes. When they're cooked through and sandy coloured, trim off the excess pastry with a serrated knife to form a blunt edge.
- Turn the oven down to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Fill the tart cases with the roasted vegetables, then season. Top each with 2tbsp crème fraîche and a slice of goats' cheese, season again then return to the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cheese starts to become golden and bubbly. Serve with a salad of bitter leaves and tomatoes.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Best Valentine's Day Movies to watch this February 14
Here is our list of best romantic movies to enjoy this Valentine's Day, from rom-coms to period dramas there's something for everyone
By Laura Harman • Published
Chinese New Year 2022—Year of the Water Tiger and the lunar celebration explained
Chinese New Year 2022 welcomes in the Year of the Water Tiger—here's everything to know about the celebration and its lunar connections
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Adele's Las Vegas set removal from Caesars Palace has ticketholders worried for future concerts
Adele postponed all of her Las Vegas residency dates last week
By Emma Dooney • Published