By Rosie Conroy
Our mushroom bourguignon is a rich vegan take on the classic French dish. The key to making this mushroom bourguignon so delicious is using the best mushroom stock you can find. Giving it this rich base will ensure the sauce is packed with a dark, woody flavour. Soaking the porcini mushrooms in the stock rehydrates them and releases their deliciously comforting flavour into the stock, too, giving additional layers to this delicious vegetarian stew. We like to serve our mushroom bourguignon with crusty bread to mop the juices up with – look for a sourdough to give you something with real bite and a good strong flavour. This easy comfort food recipe freezes well too, so you’re in luck if you like to get ahead. Portion it up into boxes when completely cool and freeze for up to three months. Defrost fully before reheating.
- Preheat the oven to 180, Gas Mark 6.
- Bring the mushroom stock to boil. Add the rosemary, thyme and porcini mushrooms. Remove from the heat and let infuse for half an hour.
- In a large pan add the oil, shallots and garlic. Cook on a low heat for ten minutes, until starting to colour and soften. Add the carrot, tomato puree and plain flour. Cook for two minutes. Slowly add the red wine and mushroom stock, mixing well, until you have a smooth thick sauce.
- Add the mixed mushrooms. Cover and transfer to the oven. Leave to cook for one hour. Scatter with fresh thyme and serve with crusty bread or mashed potatoes.
- 400ml mushroom stock
- 2 sprigs each rosemary and thyme, plus extra thyme to garnish
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 150g shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 3tsp plain flour
- 200ml red wine
- 900g mixed mushrooms
Top Tip for making Mushroom Bourguignon
If you can’t find mushroom stock, use vegetable stock.
Research reveals that 14.5 per cent of women feel menopause is affecting their sex lives
New research has revealed that 14.5 per cent of women feel that menopause is affecting their sex lives
By Aleesha Badkar •
This cult US skincare brand is coming to Boots very soon - and we can't wait
Treat yourself to some of their gorgeous products...
By Amy Hunt •
Missoma reveals limited-time discount code to save you 20 per cent off your jewelry favourites
Missoma has launched a discount code offering a huge 20 per cent discount on all of their jewelry
By Aleesha Badkar •