HOW TO MAKE PESTO-CRUSTED RACKS OF LAMB
- 2 French-trimmed racks of lamb, ready-prepared from a supermarket or your butcher will do it for you
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 15g (½oz) butter
for the herb crust
- 25g (1oz) fresh mint leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- grated zest 1 large lemon
- 50g (2oz) unsalted raw cashew nuts
- 50g (2oz) breadcrumbs
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
for the sauce
- 2tsp redcurrant jelly
- splash Marsala wine or dry sherry300ml (½pt) lamb stock
- 1 fresh sprig rosemary
- Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, 400F, gas 6. Trim the fat from the lamb, leaving a little intact. Season well all over with sea salt and ground black pepper. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. When it begins to foam, add the lamb, skin-side down, and cook for 2 minutes on each side until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- For the herb crust, place the mint in a food processor with the garlic, lemon zest, cashew nuts, breadcrumbs and olive oil, and whizz to a fine, vibrant-green mixture. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Brush each rack with mustard, then firmly press with the herb mixture. Place in a large roasting tin, herb crust side up, and roast for 25 to 35 minutes until medium-pink. Rest, covered in foil, for 5 minutes before cutting into cutlets to serve.
- While resting, make a quick sauce. Drain any excess fat from the frying pan and place back on the hob. Heat gently, then add the redcurrant jelly and warm until melted. Over a high heat, add a splash of Marsala or sherry and stir, making sure you have scraped up all the pan juices, then pour in the stock, add the rosemary and bubble over a high heat for about 5 minutes until it becomes syrupy. Strain through a sieve to serve. It will be a thin sauce but very well flavoured. Serve the lamb with new potatoes and seasonal asparagus spears.
Has lockdown changed your relationship with alcohol? Study finds 10 different 'drinking personalities’
The common pandemic drinking personality types revealed
By Emma Shacklock •
This is what Dr. Hilary wants you to remember if you want to live to 100
Dr. Hilary has revealed a golden rule to follow if you want to live to 100
By Emma Dooney •
Princess Diana's shocking insight into Prince Harry's life revealed
‘Harry’s full of energy but he flips from one thing to another and then loses interest'.
By Robyn Morris •