You can always count on Mary Berry for a perfect pavlova recipe and this meringue dessert with pineapple and ginger is no different – sweet and tangy, it’s a great dessert to try this week.
HOW TO MAKE MARY BERRY'S PINEAPPLE AND GINGER PAVLOVA
Taken from Mary Berry's Cookery Course, published by DK, £17.99 (paperback edition).
- Preheat the oven to 150C, 130C fan, gas 2. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and mark a 20cm circle on it.
- Whisk the egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks by placing the egg whites in a large bowl and, using an electric mixer on full speed, begin whisking, moving the beaters around the bowl. Continue whisking the egg whites on full speed, still moving the beaters around the bowl, until the whites stand in stiff peaks. Use immediately.
- Add the sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, continuing to whisk on full speed until the whites are glossy. Blend the vinegar and cornflour together and whisk into the whites with the last spoonful of sugar.
- Spoon the meringue onto the circle on the paper, and spread it so that the edge is slightly higher than the centre. Place the meringue in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the baking parchment, turn off the oven and return the meringue to the oven on its baking sheet. It will cool as the oven cools.
- Transfer the meringue to a platter. Whip the cream until thick, put it in the centre of the meringue, and top with the pineapple and ginger.
- 3 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 175g caster sugar
- 1tsp vinegar
- 1tsp cornflour
- 300ml double or whipping cream
- 200g can pineapple chunks in natural juice, drained
- 5 pieces of stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
Top Tip for making Mary Berry's Pineapple and Ginger Pavlova
You will get a greater volume when whisking egg whites if the eggs areat room temperature rather than cold, so take them out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before they are needed. Equipment must be scrupulously clean and dry. Once whisked, egg whites need to be used at once.
Prince William and Kate Middleton love this household hobby, but he admits one is definitely better at it than the other
Prince William and Kate Middleton once lived together in North Wales and he returned this week for a special reason
By Emma Shacklock •
Meghan Markle is victorious in final copyright claim against U.K. publishers who circulated the Duchess' personal note to her father
'For these outlets, it’s a game. For me and so many others, it’s real life'
By Danielle Valente •
A popular Hershey's item has been recalled. Here's what you need to know
Hershey's is issuing a recall for the popular chocolate shell sauce after nuts were accidentally put in the bottles
By Rylee Johnston •