serves:8 - 10
- To make Mary Berry's Malted Chocolate Cake recipe you will need:
- For the cake
- 30g malted chocolate drink powder
- 30g cocoa powder
- 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- For the icing
- 3tbsp malted chocolate drink powder
- 1½tbsp hot milk
- 125g butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 50g dark chocolate (at least 50 per cent cocoa solids), melted
- 1tbsp boiling water
- about 20 Maltesers, to decorate
- You will need:
- 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins
Preheat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Grease two 20cm round sandwich tins with butter and line the bases with baking paper.
Measure the malted chocolate drink powder and cocoa powder into a large bowl, pour over 2tbsp water and mix to a paste. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat until smooth.
Divide evenly between the prepared tins and bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes. Set aside in the tins to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing, measure the malted chocolate drink powder into a bowl, add the hot milk and mix until smooth. Add the butter, icing sugar and melted chocolate and mix again until smooth, then add 1tbsp boiling water to give a gloss to the icing.
Place one cake on a plate and spread over half the icing. Sandwich with the other cake and spread (or pipe) the remaining icing on top, using the tip of a rounded palette knife to create a swirled effect from the centre to the edge of the cake. Arrange the Maltesers over the top and dust with icing sugar before serving.