- 185g (6½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 7tbsp runny honey
- finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 5 large free-range eggs, separated
- 285g (9½oz) plain flour, sifted
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder, sifted
- 400ml (14fl oz) thick Greek yogurt
- 85g (3½oz) sultanas, tossed in flour
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3tbsp chopped toasted pistachios
- you will need
- 23cm (9in) round cake tin, oiled and base-lined with baking parchment
Heat the oven to 150 C, 130 C fan, 300 F, gas 2. Cream together the butter, sugar, 2tbsp of the honey and the lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well with an electric whisk. Fold in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, then mix in 100ml (4fl oz) of the yogurt and the sultanas.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, fold 1tbsp into the cake mix to loosen it, then fold in the rest. Gently pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
To make the lemon syrup, combine the lemon juice, 3tbsp of the honey and the cinnamon stick in a pan and simmer for 1 minute. Leave to cool slightly, prick the cake with a skewer and drizzle the syrup all over the top. Leave the syrup to absorb into the cake and cool completely, then spread the remaining yogurt on top, scatter with the pistachios and drizzle with the remaining honey.