For a really special dinner party dessert, you can't go wrong with a lemon meringue pie. Try this classic recipe with lime too and you'll love it even more!
HOW TO MAKE LEMON AND LIME MERINGUE PIE
For the filling
- juice and zest 3 lemons
- juice and zest 3 limes
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 50g (2oz) cornflour
- 200ml (7fl oz) water
- 4 egg yolks
- 15g (½oz) unsalted butter
For the meringue
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
You will need
- 23 x 3cm (9 x 1¼in) deep tart tin
- Preheat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan oven, 400 F, gas 6. Line the tart tin with the pastry, prick the base and chill for 20 minutes. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden, then remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 5 to 7 minutes. Allow to cool.
- To make the filling, place the juice (you should have 300ml (½pt) of liquid – if not, make it up by squeezing in some more juice), zest and sugar in a pan and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Mix the cornflour to a paste with 3 to 4 tbsp of the water and add to the juice in the pan along with the remaining water. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Cool slightly and whisk in the egg yolks and butter. Pour the filling into the pastry case.
- To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then add one third of the sugar. Whisk for a further minute and add a third more sugar. Whisk for another minute and add the last of the sugar. The mixture should be smooth, thick and glossy. Spoon the meringue over the filling covering it completely, then swirl it with the back of the spoon. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the meringue is golden; serve.
Fabulously fresh, these cod bruschetta will take you straight to the Italian Riviera!
By Samuel Goldsmith •
Oven-Baked Chicken Breasts with Chorizo and Chickpeas
By Rebecca Smith •
Low alcohol wines so you can enjoy a glass or two without a fuzzy head in the morning
By Woman and Home •
Prince William to face this unexpected wake-up call when he becomes King—and the Queen’s experienced it too
Prince William will have to get used to a very unusual wake-up call when he takes the throne
By Emma Dooney •
Meghan Markle reveals how her children’s book, The Bench, explores ‘another side of masculinity’ as she gives thanks for bestseller status
Meghan Markle’s book was inspired by Prince Harry and Archie
By Emma Shacklock •
Dawn French shocks fans with a new grey hairstyle—and it's incredibly refreshing
Dawn French is ‘happy’ to be going grey
By Georgia Farquharson •