For a barbecue recipe with a twist, why not try a South African dish this week? Braai is the South African word for barbecue and this dish is inspired by the concept. Using fresh ginger, garlic and plenty of spice, this lamb recipe is a great one to try for something with a little more of a kick on the barbecue. Serve it up with mango chutney, pittas and salad for a real treat of a meal.
HOW TO MAKE LAMB SOSATIES
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tbsp each: garam masala, turmeric,
- ground coriander
- 4tbsp soft brown sugar
- juice 1 lemon
- 300ml (½pt) vegetable or chicken stock
- 850g (1lb 14oz) cubed leg of lamb
- 24 dried apricots
- 2-3 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, cut into chunks
you will need
- 8 metal skewers
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Cook the onion for 10 minutes, add the ginger and garlic, cook for 2 minutes, then add the spices. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes, and add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then add the stock. Bring to the boil then cool completely.
- Put the lamb cubes in a large dish and pour over the marinade. Mix well then leave to marinate for around 2 hours. Meanwhile, soak the dried apricots in boiling water for 1 hour to plump up.
- Thread the lamb, apricots, peppers and onions onto the skewers. You can return them to the marinade until you are ready to cook. Cook on the barbecue or under the grill for 12 to 15 minutes until browned. Serve with mango chutney, pittas and salad.
Has lockdown changed your relationship with alcohol? Study finds 10 different 'drinking personalities’
The common pandemic drinking personality types revealed
By Emma Shacklock •
This is what Dr. Hilary wants you to remember if you want to live to 100
Dr. Hilary has revealed a golden rule to follow if you want to live to 100
By Emma Dooney •
Princess Diana's shocking insight into Prince Harry's life revealed
‘Harry’s full of energy but he flips from one thing to another and then loses interest'.
By Robyn Morris •