- for the kofta
- 500g (1lb 2oz) minced lamb
- 1 onion, grated
- 1½tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1½tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp cinnamon
- small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- small bunch mint leaves, roughly chopped
- zest 1 lemon
- 2tbsp oil
- for the tzatziki
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and grated
- 200ml (7fl oz) natural yogurt
- small bunch mint leaves, picked and roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- juice ½ lemon
- 2tsp extra virgin olive oil
To make the kofta, mix the kofta ingredients (not the oil) plus 1tsp salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Fry off a small piece and taste it once cooked through to check the seasoning. Shape into small, slightly flattened sausage shapes about half the size of your palm. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. You can freeze at this stage; thaw out before cooking.
Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the kofta in batches for 2 minutes on each side until browned. Transfer to a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
To make the tzatziki, mix 1tsp salt into the cucumber and leave in a sieve to get rid of excess water. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients (not the oil), then squeeze as much liquid out of the cucumber as possible. Stir the cucumber through the tzatziki and drizzle with the oil. Serve with the kofta and some flatbreads.