By Rosie Conroy
Making a laksa has been known to take a long time. We’ve given ourselves a shortcut by adding to a readymade paste for the perfect combination of convenience and comfort food. Topping our laksa recipe is the perfect soft-boiled egg. To get your egg to the same done-ness add them to rapidly boiling water, reduce the water to a simmer and cook for 6mins before running under cold water to cool the shells down slightly, and peeling. If you like your laksa hot you can add extra chilli to the stock in step one. Be warned though, boiling chilli will make the most of its spice, so a little goes a long way. Once you’ve mastered your basic laksa recipe you can have fun experimenting with your favourite toppings. Try swapping the shellfish stock and prawns for chicken stock and meat, or you could even make it veggie. We like to keep things fresh and crunchy for a vegetarian laksa, so throw the veg in at the very last minute until just cooked through and don’t forget to swap the stock!
- Fry the laksa paste in a large pan for 2 mins until fragrant, then add the stock, coconut milk, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and half the spring onion. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10-15 mins to reduce.
- Add the prawns, noodles, beansprouts and lime juice. Bring to the boil, then simmer for a few mins until the noodles and prawns are cooked.
- Serve with half an egg per portion, the remaining spring onions, coriander leaves, and red chilli.
- 185g jar laksa paste
- 1ltr fish or shellfish stock
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut milk
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, split lengthways and bashed
- Thumb size piece ginger, grated
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 225g raw king prawns
- 250g flat rice noodles
- 200g beansprouts
- Juice of a lime
- 2 boiled eggs
- Bunch coriander
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
Top Tip for making Malaysian Laksa with Prawns
We used Waitrose’s Cooks’ Ingredients laksa paste
How to use jojoba oil for hair that's silky smooth to the touch
Jojoba oil for hair is one of the most lightweight and beneficial ways to revive lacklustre strands.
By Fiona Embleton •
Jane Fonda reveals she's embracing her gray hair and she looks incredible
The star said "enough is enough" in a recent appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Jill Biden shares a powerful message about grief with Kelly Clarkson
Jill Biden reveals how she overcame the grief of losing her stepson, Beau Biden, to Kelly Clarkson in a candid interview
By Emma Dooney •