For the marinade:
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade. Add the beef strips and mix well. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- In a large sauté pan or wok, fry off the beef and all the marinade until coloured. Add enough water to just cover then turn the heat down to a very low simmer and cook for 2 hours until meltingly tender. You can freeze it at this point.
- When you are ready to serve, just bring the meat and its sauce up to the boil, add a little more water if it's too thick, adjust the seasoning to taste. Add the vegetables and rice, heat through fully and serve.
- 3 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)*
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg chuck steak or other stewing beef, cut into strips
- 1 x head of Chinese leaves, shredded
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 150g bean sprouts
- 200g cooked long grain or basmati rice
Top Tip for making Korean-Style Beef Soup
*Gochujang gives an authentic Korean taste to soups and stews. You can find it in Oriental grocers or online from souschef.co.uk
The UK's top scenic routes for the ultimate staycation have been unveiled
The UK's top scenic routes have been revealed—and we finally don't feel so bad about another summer in lockdown
By Emma Dooney •
According to a study, this is the one thing you'll most regret in life
Do you live with regret?
By Amy Hunt •
Why won’t Margaret Thatcher be in The Crown season 5 and who will take over her role?
Margaret Thatcher in The Crown was a memorable performance—but will she be back in season 5?
By Emma Shacklock •