- 250g bulgur wheat
- 3 tbsp Turkish tomato paste
- onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp hot or mild red pepper paste
- 1 small spring onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses/ juice of
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 large tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- pinch of mild chilli flakes
Cook or rehydrate the bulgur wheat for 15-20 minutes and taste to check it is not still hard and grainy.
When cool enough to handle, add the tomato paste, pepper paste and onion and gently rub everything together with your hands until it is thoroughly combined and an even red-orange colour. Add all the other ingredients and mix thoroughly again. Taste and season, if necessary.
Add more olive oil, pomegranate molasses or lemon juice too, if you like. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Top Tip for making Kisir
If you don’t have Turkish tomato paste or red pepper paste you won’t get the bright colour, add extra fresh tomato and half a finely diced red pepper instead.