One of our favourite Easter recipes, you can't go wrong with a delicious hot cross bun. Whether you want it with a cup of tea of slathered with jam, there are millions of ways to enjoy a hot cross bun - or three!
HOW TO MAKE HOT CROSS BUNS
- 1x7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 175g caster sugar
- 300ml semi skimmed milk, warm
- 600g strong white bread flour
- 3tsp mixed spice
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- zest of 1 orange
- 75g unsalted butter
- 175g mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with 1tbsp milk
- 50g plain flour
- Place the yeast in a bowl and mix with 1tbsp caster sugar. Pour over 4tbsp warm milk and leave to foam for 5 mins.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, 125g sugar, salt, spices, zest and butter and using the tips of your finger rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the dried fruit.
- Pour in the yeast mixture and most of the remaining milk. Mix to a sticky dough, adding more milk if you need it. Knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place on a baking sheet and cover with lightly oiled cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1-2 hours to rise or until doubled in size.
- Divide into 16 equal balls and place in a circular pattern almost touching on a large baking tray. Cover again with the oiled cling film and leave for another hour to double in size again.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas 5. Brush the egg yolk mixture over the buns. Mix the flour with 3tbsp milk and spoon into a piping bag with medium plain nozzle. Pipe a cross on each bun and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Heat the remaining 50g sugar with 2tbsp hot water to dissolve. Brush over the buns and allow to cool or eat straight away.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry weren't in 'great shape' mentally - reveals Tom Bradby who interviewed them on Africa tour
Harry & Meghan: An African Journey aired in 2019
By Sarah Finley •
This viral "fake collar" fashion trend is taking over spring fashion—and it's only $9
This viral TikTok fashion trend is not only affordable but will help dress almost any outfit up without the added layers
By Rylee Johnston •
Kate Middleton gives a romantic nod to Prince William as she re-wears this 2010 outfit
Kate Middleton re-wore her an outfit she showed off a decade ago
By Rylee Johnston •