One of our favourite Easter recipes, you can't go wrong with a delicious hot cross bun. Whether you want it with a cup of tea of slathered with jam, there are millions of ways to enjoy a hot cross bun - or three!
HOW TO MAKE HOT CROSS BUNS
- Place the yeast in a bowl and mix with 1tbsp caster sugar. Pour over 4tbsp warm milk and leave to foam for 5 mins.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, 125g sugar, salt, spices, zest and butter and using the tips of your finger rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the dried fruit.
- Pour in the yeast mixture and most of the remaining milk. Mix to a sticky dough, adding more milk if you need it. Knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place on a baking sheet and cover with lightly oiled cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1-2 hours to rise or until doubled in size.
- Divide into 16 equal balls and place in a circular pattern almost touching on a large baking tray. Cover again with the oiled cling film and leave for another hour to double in size again.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas 5. Brush the egg yolk mixture over the buns. Mix the flour with 3tbsp milk and spoon into a piping bag with medium plain nozzle. Pipe a cross on each bun and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Heat the remaining 50g sugar with 2tbsp hot water to dissolve. Brush over the buns and allow to cool or eat straight away.
- 1x7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 175g caster sugar
- 300ml semi skimmed milk, warm
- 600g strong white bread flour
- 3tsp mixed spice
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- zest of 1 orange
- 75g unsalted butter
- 175g mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with 1tbsp milk
- 50g plain flour
Amanda Seyfried stuns at the Golden Globes with old-school Hollywood style
Amanda Seyfried's Golden Globes look screamed '40s screen siren.
By Fiona Embleton •
Prince Andrew will not be attending Queen's birthday parade for Trooping the Colour in June
It's been confirmed that Prince Andrew will be absent from festivities - and here's who will be in his place during the parade
By Lauren Hughes •
This naked retreat has been named as one of 2021's best travel experiences
Nudist holidays are on the up! And this Italian retreat is predicted to be a big hit in 2021...
By Lauren Hughes •