This hot and sour tiger prawn soup recipe is great for making a homemade thai soup. Tiger prawns are bigger than ordinary prawns, which makes this light soup a bit more filling. Make the most of delicate tiger prawns with lots of lemon juice and curry paste, not forgetting the smoky-tasting shiitake mushrooms.
Looking for more inspiration? We have plenty of other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE HOT AND SOUR TIGER PRAWN SOUP
- With a rolling pin or meat mallet, flatten 2 stalks of lemon grass and put in a pan with 1.2 litres (2pt) chicken stock, 3 to 4tsp Thai red curry paste, 2 finely chopped shallots and a 4cm (1½in) piece of peeled and finely chopped root ginger. Bring to the boil.
- Add 225g (8oz) sliced shiitake mushrooms (or canned straw mushrooms, halved) and simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir into the soup 24 shelled tiger prawns, 2tsp light muscovado sugar and 4tsp fish sauce (nam pla) and simmer for 3 minutes until the prawns are cooked.
- Add the juice of 2 lemons and season to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls, scatter over 2 thinly sliced spring onions, 2 thinly sliced red chillies and a handful of fresh coriander leaves, then serve.
- 1.2 litres (2pt) chicken stock
- 2 tsp muscovado sugar
- juice 2 lemon
- 2 stalks of lemon grass
- 3-4 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4cm (1½in) fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 225g (8oz) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 24 raw tiger prawns, shelled
- 4 tsp fish sauce
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- fresh coriander
Woman&Home's Vanity Edit: New makeup, skincare, and beauty products we love this week
We underscore the latest and greatest beauty heroes on the market, from whimsical collections to astrology-inspired eyeshadow. Here's what's currently in trend.
By Dominique McIntee •
International Women’s Day: shop with a cause with these brands’ charitable initiatives
To honor this global holiday, we've created a curation that reframes shopping as an effective vehicle for systemic change
By Dominique McIntee •
The EXACT Mood lighting you need to maximize your chances of getting laid
How you can easily increase your likelihood of having sex, according to a study...
By Selina Maycock •