By Rosie Conroy
There’s something so comforting about a homemade chicken noodle soup. The broth for this deliciously warming soup is made with plenty of aromats to give it a real punch of flavour, as well as some good old-fashioned healing qualities! Ginger is thought to be able to help fight infections, making it perfect for a winter warm-up recipe. This recipe for homemade chicken noodle soup makes plenty for six people. If you don’t want yours with so much stock, you can add a little less and freeze the excess to make another batch, another time.
For the stock
- 1 leftover chicken carcass
- bunch spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 1tsp coriander seeds
- 2 star anise
- thumb sized piece of ginger, chopped
For the soup
- thumb sized piece ginger, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts (or leftover cooked chicken)
- 200g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 235g pak choi
- 200g egg noodles
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- To make the stock, put all the stock ingredients into a very large pan, cover with 3l cold water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and leave to bubble away for 2-3hrs, skimming off the scum that rises to the top as you go, until you have a flavourful stock.
- Strain into a large bowl and remove any excess fat from the top.
- To make the soup, pour the stock into a large pan, with the ginger, garlic and chicken. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 mins, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken and shred using two forks. (If using leftover chicken, skip this step)
- Return the chicken to the stock with the mushrooms, pak choi and soy sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes until the mushrooms are cooked, then add the noodles and cook for a few more mins until tender.
Top Tip for making Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
You can cook a whole raw chicken if you don’t have a leftover carcass, then use the meat from the chicken instead of cooking the breasts
Sarah Paulson wore a custom Prada cast on her broken arm and it was the real star of the Golden Globes
Sarah Paulson gave her broken arm a designer makeover with a Prada cast
By Laura Harman •
Chloe Zhao made Golden Globes history as the first Asian woman to win Best Director
Chloe Zhao won the Golden Globe for best director of a motion picture making her the first Asian woman to win the award
By Laura Harman •
Kate Winslet reveals her stress incontinence prevents her from engaging in this physical activity
Kate Winslet has raised awareness of the urinatory condition after sharing her personal experience with Graham Norton
By Emma Dooney •