By Jess Findlay
Fattoush is a Middle Eastern bread salad that is packed with flavourful fresh herbs. It’s a great way to use up any stale pitta or flatbreads you might have in the bread bin. Fattoush is best when made in advance and left so that the bread soaks up all the flavour of the dressing. This summery salad is perfect for buffets and barbecues, and is also a great lunchbox filler. Cool cucumber, crunchy radish and juicy tomatoes make this salad so light and refreshing. A perfect feed-a-crowd dish for summer entertaining.
- 2 stale pitta or other flatbreads
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for the pitta
- 2tsp sumac, plus extra to sprinkle
- 500g mixed cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large cucumber, quartered lengthways and sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g radishes, quartered
- 25g flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 15g mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200C. Toss the pitta with a little olive oil, then bake in the oven for 20 mins until crisp. Allow to cool slightly, then break into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, put the garlic in a jar with the lemon juice, vinegar, oil and sumac. Season and shake well then leave to infuse until you have finished preparing the rest of the salad.
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, spring onion, radishes and herbs in a large bowl. Add the bread and dressing and toss to coat. Leave for a few hours, or ideally overnight, so the bread soaks up all the dressing. Drizzle over some olive oil and sprinkle extra sumac before serving.
Save your hair from wind and rain with these easy tips
Don't let the weather get in the way of a good hair day
By vjowett •
Royal fans are obsessed with Zara Tindall's Royal Ascot look—here's why
Zara and Mike Tindall enjoyed their first day out together in months
By Georgia Farquharson •
Charles Sobhraj and Marie-Andrée Leclerc's relationship was even more disturbing in real life
BBC’s The Serpent depicts the life and crimes of the notorious serial killer and Marie-Andrée Leclerc
By Emma Shacklock •