- 6tbsp golden syrup
- 2 x 411g cans peach slices in natural juices, drained
- 150g (5oz) butter, melted
- 150g (5oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 130ml (4½fl oz) buttermilk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- ¼tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- You will need
- 1 x 20cm (8in) cake tin, greased and base-lined
Preheat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4. Drizzle two tablespoons of syrup over the base of the cake tin and neatly lay the peach slices on top.
Pour the butter into a large mixing bowl and whisk in the sugar. Add the eggs and whisk well. Stir in the buttermilk, vanilla extract and bicarbonate of soda. Sift in the flour and stir until well combined.
Pour the mixture over the peaches and bake for around 45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before carefully turning out on to a serving platter. Pour the remaining syrup over the top and serve with custard or cream.