- 1 goose, dressed weight about 5kg (11lb), with giblets
- 1.5kg (3lb 6oz) potatoes, peeled, chopped into large chunks and rinsed thoroughly
- 4 onions, coarsely chopped
- 50g (2oz) goose or duck fat
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1tbsp sage leaves, chopped
- grated zest 2 lemons
Preheat the oven to 220 C, 200 C, 425 F, gas 7. Rub salt all over the goose and sprinkle some salt and pepper inside the cavity. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender, drain well and coarsely mash them. Fry the onions in the goose fat until golden brown. Add the garlic and stir into the mashed potato, along with the sage, lemon zest and pepper. Pack the mixture into the cavity of the goose. Now put the goose on a wire rack in a roomy roasting tin. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
Turn the temperature down to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Cook the goose for a further 2½ hours. There is no need to baste.
When the goose is cooked, remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes or so before carving. Serve with red cabbage and roast potatoes.
Top Tip for making Crispy Roast Goose with Potato Stuffing
For a crisp goose, pierce the skin with a skewer and pour a kettle of boiling water over it. Dry and leave uncovered overnight in the fridge.