If you want a fancy starter for your next dinner party, but want something a little different to your usual prawn cocktail starter recipe, why not try this delicious crab cocktail with hearty sourdough toasts?
With bacon, avocado and spring onions along with white crab meat, there are plenty of different textures and flavours in this starter option to get your taste buds going.
Crab is generally in season between April to November in the UK, so it’s a great spring, summer and autumn dish to try if you’re entertaining.
This recipe makes enough crab cocktail to serve four people.
HOW TO MAKE CRAB COCKTAIL WITH SOURDOUGH TOASTS
- 4 rashers pancetta or thin-cut smoked bacon
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 200g (7oz) fresh white crabmeat
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and chopped into 1cm (½in) pieces
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2tbsp chopped fresh chives
for the dressing
- 2tbsp mayonnaise
- 1tsp tomato ketchup
- ¼tsp cayenne pepper or a shake of Tabasco sauce
- juice 1 small lemon
- Heat the grill to high. Place the pancetta or bacon on the rack of a grill pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until very crispy. Set aside on kitchen paper to absorb any fat and cool completely. While you still have the grill on, toast the sourdough slices on both sides until lightly golden.
- Place the crabmeat in a bowl and mix with the avocado, spring onions, chives and roughly crumbled pancetta or bacon. Spoon into 4 small bowls or glasses set on a serving plate with the toasts.
- For the dressing, mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup, cayenne or Tabasco and the lemon juice until smooth, and serve spooned over the crab mixture.
Top Tip for making Crab Cocktail with Sourdough Toasts
Make up the crab and avocado mixture and the sauce separately up to three hours ahead
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since 'Bennifer' reunion
New of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
This celebrity-favorite brand is having a secret sale you need to shop now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on rag & bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •