HOW TO MAKE CLASSIC ITALIAN MINESTRONE SOUP
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and finely chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 225g (8oz) dried pasta twists
- 410g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- large rosemary sprig, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre (1¾pt) vegetable stock
- to serve
- 6tsp fresh pesto
- 6 rosemary sprigs
- crusty Italian bread
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan, add all the vegetables and cook gently for about 10 minutes without colouring, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions and add to the vegetables followed by all the other ingredients. Mix well, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
Season and serve in warm soup bowls, garnished with a dollop of pesto and a sprig of rosemary, along with lots of chunky Italian bread to dip.