Swap the herbs around in this salad as you like – try basil, thyme or fresh oregano for a real Mediterranean flavour.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 3 baby gem lettuces, roughly chopped
- 25g (1oz) marinated silver anchovies
- For the dressing:
- 2 large, free-range eggs
- 5 anchovy fillets, drained
- ½tsp mustard powder
- splash each Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco
- juice ½ lemon
- 150ml (¼pt) olive oil
- 20g (¾oz) freshly grated Parmesan
- For the croutons:
- medium baguette, torn into chunks
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 25g (1oz) Parmesan
Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. To make the croutons, toss the baguette chunks in the olive oil and Parmesan, season and bake in a roasting tin for about 15 minutes, until crisp.
Meanwhile, make the dressing. Put all the ingredients except the oil and Parmesan into a food processor, and whizz until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add the oil until you have a smooth dressing. Stir in the Parmesan and set aside. This will keep in the fridge for 3 days.
When the croutons are done, remove from the oven and cool slightly. These will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Arrange the lettuce leaves in a bowl and scatter over the anchovies and croutons. Drizzle over the dressing and serve immediately.