By Rosie Conroy
Clafoutis is a classic French dessert that makes the most of Autumnal fruit. Traditionally this sweet treat is made with cherries, but we love this twist using sweet and sharp plums instead. The sour edge coming from the fruit in this Clafoutis balances perfectly with the sweet batter surrounding it, and combines to make each mouthful so moreish. This traditional pud is ever so slightly similar to a sweet version of toad in the hole! A delicious rich batter surrounding a star-of-the-show (which is plums in this case, not sausages!) Once you’ve mastered the basic recipe you can swap in alternative fruits, depending on what’s available at the time you’re making it. We think stone fruits work best in clafoutis, like greengages, peaches or even sloes. Served just warm, this hearty dessert dish is perfect with the addition of cream or even a little custard. This recipe is best enjoyed on the day you make it, as it will sink as it cools.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4.
- Sprinkle 1tbsp caster sugar over the plums. Add the congnac and leave to macerate for at least an hour, or over night.
- Whisk together the eggs, flour, sugar and salt. Gradually whisk in the milk until you have a smooth batter-like consistency. It will be quite runny. Finally whisk in the melted butter.
- Grease a rectangle baking dish with butter. Sprinkle the Demerara sugar over the bottom and add the plums. Pour on the batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until cooked through with a still-wobbly centre. Serve hot.
- 90g caster sugar
- 400g plums, cut into wedges
- 75g caster sugar
- 2tbsp congnac
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 50g plain flour
- 2tbsp demerara sugar
- pinch of salt
- 270ml whole milk
- 20g butter, melted, plus extra to grease
Top Tip for making Clafoutis
If you don’t have congnac you can replace with brandy or kirsch
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since J.Lo and Ben Affleck reunion
News of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
Celebrity-favorite brand Rag & Bone is having a huge secret sale right now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on Rag & Bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •