By Woman and Home published
Smoked haddock and Italian pancetta (or just homely British bacon) are the main ingredients of this tasty chowder. You want this soup to be very chunky, so mash the potatoes slightly and for extra creamy texture and thickness, use double cream or crème fraîche. Both the fish and pancetta are rich in flavour, so mixing in some onion and vegetable stock makes this dish tasty until the very last drop of soup.
This hearty soup is great to serve on a colder day, as it is very filling and can be prepared in just 30 minutes. Crusty bread is a great accompaniment to this meal, and the best thing is that you can vary this chowder recipe very easily. You could use chicken, or make a seafood chowder soup using prawns and clams.
Have a look at our other soup recipes for more delicious ideas.
HOW TO MAKE CHUNKY SMOKED HADDOCK CHOWDER
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add pancetta or lardons and fry until lightly browned. Remove from pan, set aside drain on kitchen towel.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until browned, stirring. Return the pancetta to the pan with the stock, haddock and potato. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cream and sweetcorn and simmer for 5 minutes. To serve, season and serve with crusty bread.
- 1tbsp oil
- 100g (4oz) pancetta, cubed, or bacon lardons
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 300ml (½pt) chicken or vegetable stock
- 350g (12oz) smoked haddock, skinned and cut into chunks
- 1 potato (around 225g/8oz), peeled and diced
- 300ml (½pt) double cream or crème fraîche
- 250g (9oz) frozen sweetcorn, thawed
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Kim Cattrall just threw shade at the 'trashy' Sex and the City reboot
Kim Cattrall has just inadvertently revealed her true feelings towards Sex and the City's reboot And Just Like That on Twitter
By Laura Harman • Published
When is it going to snow in the UK this year and where is it confirmed?
Those hoping for snow in the UK don't have long to wait as some areas face their coldest temperatures of winter so far...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Prince Andrew's Twitter and Youtube deleted after Queen strips royal privileges
Prince Andrew's Instagram has also been set to private
By Emma Dooney • Published