Smoked haddock is, without doubt, a brilliant source of protein. As a lean fish, it's also pretty healthy, and certainly beats a burger, fatty red meat, or battered fish any day of the week.
In fact, smoked haddock is so full of protein, and is super low-calorie, that it means it's a great option if you're trying to have a healthier diet and improve the health of your heart. Haddock is also similar to cod in flavour and texture, but is usually cheaper in supermarkets, so this recipe is a money-savvy choice too. Grilling the fish, instead of frying, is also a healthy and tasty way of preparing this dinner.
Eating smoked fish too is also a quick way of making sure the dinner is ultra-tasty. The warm, woody flavours from smoked haddock mean the fish doesn't need much seasoning at all.
So if you're looking for smoked haddock recipes, look no further than this delicious, filling grilled smoked haddock and spiced potatoes recipe. With ginger, chillies, turmeric, garlic and mustard, it's a taste sensation, and so simple to whip up too. The haddock will take you just five minutes to cook, while the potatoes are cooked up in all the spices to ensure they're packed full of flavour.
While this smoked haddock recipe will make for a quick, mid-week dinner, it would also work equally well for any dinner parties you may be planning. Impress your guests with the sophisticated but healthy dish, that is so quick and easy to make that it'll ensure you can spend as much time with them as possible.
This smoked haddock recipes is finished off with a side of wilted spinach to top up your quota of five-a-day. You could also add some more veggies, such as green beans, broccoli, or samphire, to finish off the dish.
- Brush the haddock fillets with melted butter and place on a foil lined baking tray. Season with black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large lidded saucepan that will comfortably hold all the vegetables. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the ginger, chillies, garlic, mustard seeds and turmeric and cook for a further couple of minutes. Add the potatoes, stir well so that they get coated in the spices, season with salt, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring.
- Add the spinach in handfuls, replace the lid and allow the spinach to wilt. Cook for a further 5 minutes until all the spinach has been added and the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to its highest setting and cook the haddock for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Divide the potatoes and spinach between four warmed plates and place the haddock on top.
- 4 x 150g (5oz) smoked haddock fillets, skin on
- 25g (1oz) butter, melted
- 4tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2.5cm (1 in) root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 small green chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 550g (1lb 4oz) red potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 250g (9oz) baby spinach
Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe Published
Kate Middleton’s winter staple for looking glam on chilly nights out is surprisingly easy to shop and 'not ostentatious'
Kate Middleton’s winter staple for evenings out has been seen in spectacular style again this year and it can be remarkably wearable
By Emma Shacklock Published
Shania Twain's favorite facial oil is the nourishing winter treat your skin is craving
Shania Twain says this face oil leaves her skin feeling "so lovely"
By Madeline Merinuk Published
Kate Middleton's affordable face oil she loves for glowing skin is the cheapest we've seen it
The face oil Kate Middleton is said to adore for nourishing her glowing complexion is on sale for a limited time...
By Laura Harman Published