For a dinner party recipe that will please any chocolate lovers you’ve got coming over, why not try this delicious hazelnut mousse cake? It’s simple, quick to make and tastes delightful – you’ll want to make it again and again.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE AND HAZELNUT MOUSSE CAKE
- 200g (7oz) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 450g (1lb) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) hazelnuts, plus extra to decorate
- 50g (2oz) gluten-free plain flour (or just plain flour), sifted
- 10 large free-range eggs, separated
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- mixed berries, to decorate
you will need
- 20cm (8in) cake tin, greased and the bases and sides greased and lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 170C, 150C fan, 325F, gas 3. In a heavy-based saucepan melt the butter and chocolate over a medium low heat, set aside to cool.
- Grind the hazelnuts until very fine using a food processor, mix with the flour and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and creamy. Gently mix in the cooled chocolate mixture using a hand whisk. In a separate bowl using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Using a hand whisk fold in around a third to the chocolate mixture to loosen then carefully fold in the rest. When almost combined fold in the flour and hazelnuts. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 35-50 minutes. The cake will have fondant centre after 35-40 minutes or will be quite firm and mousse-like after 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cover with a clean tea towel, allow to cool. Decorate with seasonal berries or chocolates and chopped hazelnuts to serve.
Prince Harry and Meghan probably already know if they're having a baby boy or girl - here's why
The couple's interview with Oprah Winfrey airs this weekend – but will they reveal if their second child is a boy or a girl?
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Prince Harry and Meghan's ITV air date for Oprah interview confirmed
The air date of Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex's interview with Oprah has been announced
By Laura Harman •
Why we need to spring clean like Drew Barrymore
Drew Barrymore has opened up on the sense of control she feels by decluttering in this way...
By Selina Maycock •