These simple and delicious Spanish chicken skewers with patatas bravas are perfect for sharing with friends.
In a classically Spanish-inspireddish, these chicken skewers and patatas bravas have the flavour of a real Mediterranean feast.
In this recipe for Spanish chicken skewers and patatas bravas, we have used waxy potatoes (such as new potatoes) rather than floury potatoes (such as maris pipers) because they have less starch. Waxy potatoes hold their shape better when cooked.
While we know we should be watching our sugar levels, we have added a little bit in this recipe because sugar really brings out the flavours of tomatoes and can balance out the sharpness of the fruit. If you are new to sherry vinegar, it is made from a base of sherry and has a much more complex flavour than normal wine vinegars. It is less sweet than balsamic - try it out in your next salad dressing!
Looking for more brilliant Mediterranean inspired dishes? Try thisItalian beef salad with crispy prosciutto and parmesan recipe.
For the chicken:
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100ml dry sherry
- 2tbsp honey
For the patatas bravas:
- 5tbsp olive oil
- 1kg waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
- 250g passata
- 1/2tbsp tomato puree
- 1tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1tsp paprika (sweet or smoked)
- 1/2tsp caster sugar
- Mayonnaise, to serve
- You will need 8 long wooden skewers, soaked in water for 1hr
- Toss the chicken pieces with the oil, garlic, sherry and honey. Marinate for 30mins or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Pour 3tbsp of the oil into a roasting tray and heat for 10 mins then toss the potatoes in it and season. Roast for 50 mins, turning half way through, until golden and really crispy.
- Heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan and cook the garlic and chilli for 2 mins over a medium heat Add the passata, tomato puree, sherry vinegar, paprika and caster sugar with plenty of seasoning and cook for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, thread the chicken onto the soaked skewers and cook on a hot griddle pan or on the barbecue for 5-6mins each side, until the chicken is cooked through and the edges are charred. You may need to finish the skewers off in the oven if some of the chicken is thicker.
- To serve, spread the tomato sauce over the base of a serving platter or individual plates, spread over the potatoes, drizzle with mayonnaise and top with chicken skewers.
Top Tip for making Spanish chicken skewers with patatas bravas
These are perfect for a group gathering and can be prepared ahead before cooking
This cult US skincare brand is coming to Boots very soon - and we can't wait
Treat yourself to some of their gorgeous products...
By Amy Hunt •
Missoma reveals limited-time discount code to save you 20 per cent off your jewelry favourites
Missoma has launched a discount code offering a huge 20 per cent discount on all of their jewelry
By Aleesha Badkar •
Woman & Home's Vanity Edit: Our favorite launches and products this week
We highlight the latest and greatest beauty heroes on the market, from ultra-thin eyeliners to magnetic mascaras. Here's what's currently in trend.
By Dominique McIntee •