Nutrition per portion
- 75g (3oz) raw, unsalted cashew nuts
- 4 onions, chopped
- 3tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
- 3 small green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- about 25g (1oz) fresh coriander, plus extra to serve
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 0.5tsp ground cumin
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 25g (1oz) fresh ginger, grated
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- wedges of fresh lime, to serve
Soak the nuts in 200ml (7fl oz) cold water for 20 minutes. Fry onions with 2 tablespoons of the oil until softened and lightly browned.
Once the nuts are soft, place in a blender with the water, onions, chillies and coriander, and blitz until you have a thick paste. Heat the remaining oil and gently fry the spices, garlic and ginger for a few minutes. Add the nut paste and chicken, mix well and cook for a few minutes.
Add 200ml (7fl oz) water and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Squeeze over the lime juice, serve with pilau rice and scatter over some freshly chopped coriander. It’s a good dish to double up and then freeze half.