We love this rustic cherry galette, unapologetically simple but full of character…and oh-so tasty!
The term galette comes from the French term galet, meaning a smooth flat pebble, so its no wonder how these charming little pastries got their name. Our cherry galette is delicious served with cream or ice cream. With only 20mins prep, this is a lovely summer dessert option for your al fresco dinner party. The pastry is extremely versatile and would work well as an alternative to crumble using whatever fruits are in season.
Omit the demerera sugar and try a savoury twist instead. We love beetroot and goat’s cheese but experiment with the flavour combinations and you might discover a new favourite.
- 175g plain flour
- 15g sugar
- ½tsp salt
- 140g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 45ml cold water
For the filling
- 500g fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 60g caster sugar
- 2tbsp cornflour
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4tsp almond extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Sieve the flour, sugar and salt together and add in the cold butter. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Pour in the water and bring together into a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 mins.
- Place the cherry halves into a bowl and sprinkle over the sugar and cornflour, followed by the lemon juice and extracts. Mix to coat all the fruit evenly.
- On a floured surface, roll the pastry into a 30cm round, add the fruit on top and push toward the edges; leaving a 3-4 cm rim. Fold roughly fold over the edges to encase the fruit and brush the pastry with beaten egg, scatter over the demerera sugar and bake in the oven for 35-40 mins until the pastry is golden brown and the fruit is has cooked down. Cool slightly before serving.
Top Tip for making Cherry galette
Pitting cherries can be a faff, save time by investing in a cherry pitter
This is how to combat the negative effects low estrogen levels have on your skin
But don't worry—there's help
By Danielle Valente •
The 9 most empowering speeches by women in Oscars history
For a heaping dose of girl power
By Danielle Valente •
You might not know what the 'clavicut' haircut is, but get prepared to see it everywhere
Prepare to see this haircut everywhere this season for its chicness and simple care
By Rylee Johnston •