HOW TO MAKE CHERRY CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE
For the sponge:
- 85g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs, separated
- 25g (1oz) plain flour, sifted
- 35g (1¼oz) cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 x 390g (13½oz) jar black cherries in kirsch, drained and liquid reserved
- for the mousse
- 165g (5½oz) dark chocolate
- 6 large free-range eggs, separated
You will need:
- 23cm (9in) springform tin, greased and lined with baking parchment
- 20cm (8in) loose-bottomed tin, lined with baking parchment
- piping bag with star nozzle
- Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, 400F gas 6. Whisk the sugar and eggs in a large bowl until thick, pale and glossy. Gently fold in the flour and cocoa, keeping as much air in the mixture as possible. Spoon into the 23cm (9in) tin and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until springy to the touch. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Trim the sponge to fit snugly into the 20cm (8in) tin. Prick the cake all over, drizzle over the juice from ½ of one of the cherry jars then cover evenly with the cherries, reserving a few for the top. Place on a baking tray.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, set aside to cool.
- Mix together the cooled melted chocolate and egg yolks until combined (be careful not to over mix as it will become too stiff). Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold into the chocolate mixture. Spoon over the cherries and chill for at least 4 hours. To decorate, see above. This mousse cake will keep for 24 hours decorated in the fridge.
Top Tip for making Cherry Chocolate Mousse Cake
Decorate your cherry chocolate mousse cake with piped rosettes of whipped cream topped with cherries, chocolate curls and edible gold glitter
Le Creuset’s Unbreakable Enamelware Collection is perfect for "oops proof" outdoor dining
Summertime is practically here which means picnics and BBQs galore. To prepare for all our favorite summer foods check out Le Creuset's dishes set on sale now
By Rylee Johnston •
Experts claim Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's daughter will play this important role in the royal family
Do you agree?
By Danielle Valente •
Are Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck rekindling their romance? Here's what we know about the return of "Bennifer"
Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck have been spotted spending a lot more time together since her split from Alex Rodriguez in April, which has sparked rumors of a potential rekindling
By Rylee Johnston •