Is there anything more British then a squidgy Chelsea Bun with a nice cup of tea? If you fancy making you and your family something classically sweet to eat this week give this delicious baking recipe a go and you’ll not regret it. These buns are best eaten within a day of baking – although we’re sure that won’t be a problem!
HOW TO MAKE CHELSEA BUNS
- 500g /1lb 2oz white strong bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 15g butter
- 1 7g sachet Easy bake yeast
- 2 eggs
- 200ml water
for the filling
- 50g/2oz golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 150g raisins and/or sultanas
- 25g /1oz melted butter
you will need
- a large baking tray lined with baking parchment
- Place the flour, salt and butter in a large mixing bowl, and rub in the butter until it makes crumbs. Stir in the yeast. Warm the milk until it is just hand hot, and add to the flour with the eggs. Beat well until it comes to a soft dough. Turn out onto the work surface and knead for 10 mins by hand (or 5 mins by electric mixer)
- Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 30 x 26 cm.
- Sprinkle the dough with the sugar, cinnamon and fruit, then roll up like a Swiss roll. Cut into 3cm thick slices and arrange on the baking tray leaving about 2cm between each slice for them to expand.
- Cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C, 170C fan, gas 5. Brush with melted butter then bake for 30 mins until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with extra caster sugar before serving if liked.
Were Prince Harry and Meghan Markle paid to do Oprah interview?
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle could potentially make a huge sum from the highly-anticipated interview
By Emma Dooney •
Ben Affleck reveals how his divorce from Jennifer Garner helped him become a better actor
He shared how ‘intense personal experiences’ have made acting more ‘interesting’
By Emma Shacklock •
Princes Charles makes heartbreaking admission about his father Prince Philip
The Prince of Wales has concerns about his father, the Duke of Edinburgh, amid the global pandemic
By Aleesha Badkar •