Is there anything more British then a squidgy Chelsea Bun with a nice cup of tea? If you fancy making you and your family something classically sweet to eat this week give this delicious baking recipe a go and you’ll not regret it. These buns are best eaten within a day of baking – although we’re sure that won’t be a problem!
HOW TO MAKE CHELSEA BUNS
- 500g /1lb 2oz white strong bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 15g butter
- 1 7g sachet Easy bake yeast
- 2 eggs
- 200ml water
for the filling
- 50g/2oz golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 150g raisins and/or sultanas
- 25g /1oz melted butter
you will need
- a large baking tray lined with baking parchment
- Place the flour, salt and butter in a large mixing bowl, and rub in the butter until it makes crumbs. Stir in the yeast. Warm the milk until it is just hand hot, and add to the flour with the eggs. Beat well until it comes to a soft dough. Turn out onto the work surface and knead for 10 mins by hand (or 5 mins by electric mixer)
- Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 30 x 26 cm.
- Sprinkle the dough with the sugar, cinnamon and fruit, then roll up like a Swiss roll. Cut into 3cm thick slices and arrange on the baking tray leaving about 2cm between each slice for them to expand.
- Cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C, 170C fan, gas 5. Brush with melted butter then bake for 30 mins until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with extra caster sugar before serving if liked.
Why is the Queen not at Ascot? The potential reason Her Majesty could skip the event this year
The Queen has only ever previously missed one Royal Ascot during her reign
By Georgia Farquharson •
Line of Duty’s Vicky McClure set to star in ITV’s new action-packed cop drama Trigger Point
Line of Duty fans are delighted to hear that Vicky McClure is to star in new ITV drama Trigger Point
By Laura Harman •
The Strawberry Moon 2021 is coming—but how often does it happen and what time can you catch a glimpse of this stunning sight?
The Strawberry Moon is one celestial occurrence you won’t want to miss this summer
By Rylee Johnston •