Is there anything more British then a squidgy Chelsea Bun with a nice cup of tea? If you fancy making you and your family something classically sweet to eat this week give this delicious baking recipe (opens in new tab) a go and you’ll not regret it. These buns are best eaten within a day of baking – although we’re sure that won’t be a problem!
HOW TO MAKE CHELSEA BUNS
- 500g /1lb 2oz white strong bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 15g butter
- 1 7g sachet Easy bake yeast
- 2 eggs
- 200ml water
for the filling
- 50g/2oz golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 150g raisins and/or sultanas
- 25g /1oz melted butter
you will need
- a large baking tray lined with baking parchment
- Place the flour, salt and butter in a large mixing bowl, and rub in the butter until it makes crumbs. Stir in the yeast. Warm the milk until it is just hand hot, and add to the flour with the eggs. Beat well until it comes to a soft dough. Turn out onto the work surface and knead for 10 mins by hand (or 5 mins by electric mixer)
- Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 30 x 26 cm.
- Sprinkle the dough with the sugar, cinnamon and fruit, then roll up like a Swiss roll. Cut into 3cm thick slices and arrange on the baking tray leaving about 2cm between each slice for them to expand.
- Cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C, 170C fan, gas 5. Brush with melted butter then bake for 30 mins until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with extra caster sugar before serving if liked.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Oven-Baked Chicken Breasts with Chorizo and Chickpeas
By Rebecca Smith • Published
Chicken parmesan bake
By Rose Fooks • Published
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
Kate Hudson's pre-Oscars snack she eats before 'getting in a dress' might surprise you
Kate Hudson shared details of what she eats before 'getting in a dress'
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Sarah Jessica Parker's slicked back bun and funky blue jumpsuit on set is giving serious off-duty inspo
Sarah Jessica Parker's slicked back bun is giving us up-do inspiration!
By Madeline Merinuk • Published
Meghan Markle's giant pearl earrings are the perfect accessory to her sleek bun as she surprises pregnant women with special treat
The Duchess of Sussex looked effortlessly chic in Los Angeles on Wednesday in an all-black outfit, statement jewelry, and polished hair
By Emma Dooney • Published