Carrot cake is a classic that everyone loves, especially when you get it just right and it's perfectly moist, light and spongey. The orange cream cheese frosting is so creamy and zingy, it really goes great on the cake and you'll find guests asking for second servings with this one! Perfect served up for any occasion - whether it's for a special occasion or simply to enjoy with a cup of afternoon tea, it's a classic cake for a reason - because everyone will love it!
How to make carrot cake with orange cream cheese frosting
- 175g (6oz) carrots, coarsely grated
- zest and juice 1 large orange
- 100g (4oz) walnut pieces
- 225ml (8fl oz) light olive oil
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising wholemeal flour (or plain wholemeal and 2tsp baking powder)
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 175g (6oz) light muscovado sugar
- 1tsp grated nutmeg
1tsp ground cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 300g (10oz) full-fat cream cheese
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar
- grated zest of 1 large orange, plus more, shredded, to decorate
You will need:
- 20cm (8in) round deep cake tin, oiled and bottom lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 150C, gas 2. Place the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat until well blended. Place in the cake tin and spread until level. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and orange zest, and spread over the cake. Decorate with the shredded orange zest.
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
Scallops with samphire and lemon
These delicious scallops with samphire and lemon make an impressive starter
By Elisa Roche •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
How to watch the Biden-Harris inauguration from your sofa
The Biden-Harris office will be sworn in today, here’s how to make sure you don’t miss it...
By Laura Harman •
Tiger King's Joe Exotic misses out on Trump pardon
The Tiger King star will remain in prison, after failing to make President Trump's clemency list.
By Emma Dooney •
The golden rule Julia Roberts swears by for healthy skin (it's a must)
Julia Roberts skincare secret is an oldie, but a goodie – and one you should never skip
By Lucy Abbersteen •