- 4 free-range eggs, separated
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- 500g (1lb 2oz) mascarpone cheese
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml (1/2pt) double cream
- 2tbsp each of Tia Maria, brandy and Amaretto
- 400ml (14fl oz) of espresso coffee made using 2tbsp espresso powder
- 1 x pack sponge fingers
- 150g (5oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- You will need:
- 1 x 2.5-litre trifle dish
Place the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until pale and thick. Add the mascarpone, vanilla and double cream, and beat until thick and smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mascarpone mixture.
Mix the liqueurs into the hot coffee and soak half the sponge fingers in the mixture until just soft. Place the soaked sponge fingers in the bottom of the trifle dish, sprinkle over a third of the chopped chocolate and then place half the mascarpone cream on top. Repeat with the remaining sponge fingers and mascarpone mixture, finishing with the chocolate. Place in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours before serving.