- 1kg skinless chicken breast fillets
- 500ml chicken stock
- 5cm fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bashed and chopped
- 2 bunches of spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded, julienned
- pineapple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 200g rice noodles, cooked and chilled
- crispy shallots, fresh coriander and lime wedges, to serve
- For the peanut sauce:
- a little oil, for frying
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium red chillies, finely chopped
- 75g palm sugar (or use soft brown sugar)
- 250ml coconut milk
- 2tbsp tamarind paste
- 2tsp toasted sesame oil
- 250g crunchy peanut butter
Cook the chicken until tender in the stock (add extra water to cover), ginger and lemongrass. Set aside to cool then slice.
To make the peanut sauce, fry the garlic for 2 minutes, add the chilli, sugar and coconut milk and cook gently until the sugar has dissolved. Add the remaining sauce ingredients then set aside to cool. This will keep for 3 weeks, sealed, in the fridge.
To assemble, mix the spring onions, carrots, cucumber, pineapple and noodles. Top with the chicken, spoon over the sauce and top with crispy shallots and fresh coriander. Serve with lime wedges.