Switch up your usual trusty casserole recipe for this Asian inspired dish this week and you’ll not regret it. Full of aromatic spices like cumin, turmeric and ginger, this fragrant dish has more of a kick than your usual casserole recipes.
Using coconut cream to get a thick sauce, while fish sauce and tamarind paste adds an extra burst of flavour.
You’ll need to brown the meat and sauté the other ingredients in a pan first, but once the initial cooking is out the way it’s just a case of popping it all into a pan and letting it simmer for a couple of hours. So you can sit back safe in the knowledge you’ve got a wonderfully tasty dinner on the way.
HOW TO MAKE ASIAN-STYLE BEEF CASSEROLE
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole, brown the meat in batches and set aside. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Turn the heat up slightly then add the ginger, garlic, turmeric and cumin, and sauté for another minute, stirring well.
- Return the meat to the pan, add the coconut cream and stock, bring to the boil then leave to simmer gently for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Add the mushrooms, tamarind and fish sauce to the pan after 1 hour. Season to taste. Serve with sticky rice and green beans.
- 1tbsp oil
- 1kg chuck steak, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5cm piece root ginger, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 300ml coconut cream
- 200ml beef stock
- 225g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 100ml tamarind paste, we used Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients
- 1tsp Thai fish sauce
Top Tip for making Asian-Style Beef Casserole
Tamarind paste is widely available, but you can also use concentrate in this recipe - it's stronger in flavour so 1tbsp will be sufficient.
Shop the secret sale featuring one of Meghan Markle and Jennifer Lopez's favorite designer bags
Meghan Markle and Jennifer Lopez have been seen sporting this well-known brand
By Rylee Johnston •
This TikTok ab dance is going viral—but you should know this before you try it
Read before attempting!
By Danielle Valente •
This bra brand caters to small-chested women—and shoppers are obsessed
For a supportive bra without the discomfort of wires, Pepper's wireless bras have quickly become a fan-favorite of shoppers
By Rylee Johnston •