The Queen has been forced to cancel this historic royal tradition following doctors' advice

The Queen is said to be 'incredibly saddened' as she's instructed to miss the Festival of Remembrance by her doctors

The Queen
(Image credit: Getty)

Her Majesty the Queen will be forced to miss the Festival of Remembrance on November 13, following doctors' advice "to rest for at least the next two weeks."

  • It recently emerged that the monarch spent the night in hospital for the first time since 2013.
  • Now, Buckingham Palace have issued a statement stating that the Queen has been advised to clear her schedule for the next two weeks – meaning she will not be in attendance at the commemorative event, which will pay tribute to members and veterans of the British Armed Forces.
  • In other royal news, Prince Charles has offered a stark warning to world leaders ahead of COP26 kicking off in Glasgow today. 

The Queen has been advised to take a further two weeks of rest following her recent hospital stay, according to a new update released by Buckingham Palace.

Releasing a statement on the monarch's current condition on Friday, the palace said: "Following on from their recent advice that The Queen should rest for a few days, Her Majesty’s doctors have advised that she should continue to rest for at least the next two weeks.

“The doctors have advised that Her Majesty can continue to undertake light, desk-based duties during this time, including some virtual Audiences, but not to undertake any official visits. Her Majesty regrets that this means she will be unable to attend the Festival of Remembrance on Saturday, 13th November."

The Festival of Remembrance, which is held in honour of those who have given their lives in the service of their country, has been marked at London's Royal Albert Hall every year since 1923.

Queen Elizabeth, who ascended the throne in 1952, has regularly attended the festival during her 69-year reign. 

Buckingham Palace's statement ensured to caveat, though, that despite the fact that the monarch is set to miss the commemorative festival (though no doubt a number of other senior working royals will attend in her place), she still very much plans on attending Remembrance Sunday services the following day.

"It remains the Queen’s firm intention to be present for the National Service of Remembrance on Remembrance Sunday, on 14th November," the statement concluded. 

Following the news, a senior royal source told The Mirror that the monarch is "incredibly saddened" to miss the festival on November 13, but doctors “would have to make a very strong case” to prevent Her Majesty from attending Remembrance Sunday commemorations one day later.

Indeed, the 95-year-old monarch has only missed six Remembrance Sundays at the Cenotaph during her 69-year reign.

Four of those absences were due to the fact she was abroad on royal tours, while the remaining two were while she was pregnant. A virtual National Service of Remembrance was held last year owing to the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who attended his Wednesday meeting with the monarch as usual this week, Her Majesty remains "on very good form" despite recent setbacks.