Individual mini Sheperd's pies are a family favourite but with a twist of herby sweet potato mash topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 500g (1lb 2oz) lean lamb mince
- 4 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml (9fl oz) hot lamb stock
- 200g (7oz) peas, defrosted
- 500g (1lb 2oz) sweet potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
- 500g (1lb 2oz) desiree potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) salted butter
- 50g (2oz) mature cheddar
Experiment with you mash by swaping the sweet potato for carrot or swede.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and carrot for 10 minutes until soft. Stir through the lamb and cook for a further 10 minutes until browned.
- Season well and stir through ½ the thyme, the flour, the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and the stock. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/400F/Gas 6. Meanwhile place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain, return to the pan and mash with the butter and remaining thyme until fluffy and smooth.
- Stir the peas through the mince mixture and spoon into 6 individual oven-proof dishes and spoon over the mash. Sprinkle each with some cheese then bake for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up