Chilli and Butternut Squash Quesadillas
Butternut squash quesadillas with chilli are a Mexican favourite of flour tortillas sandwiched together with a savoury cheese and vegetable mix
- 500g (1lb 2oz) butternut squash, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped olives
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 corn flour tortillas
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ pack fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 125g (4½oz) mozzarella, torn
- 100g (4oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- Salad, to serve
The great thing about quesadillas is you can fill them will any kind of vegetables or cheese so use up what you have in the fridge.
A quesadilla is a tortilla that’s filled with cheese and then grilled, but our version of the classic Mexican dish so much more than that. We’ve asses paprika and chilli to really turn up the heat on this one. Plus there’s butternut squash, red pepper and spring onions to add to the flavour and texture while providing some of your five-a-day. This recipe serves four so it’s a great on to try with all the family this week.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/350F/Gas 4. Toss the butternut with the red pepper, chilli, olives and paprika. Place on a baking tray, drizzle over the oil and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and spoon over a third of the butternut squash mix. Scatter over some of the spring onions, coriander and both cheeses.
- Cover with another tortilla and heat for 1 ½ minutes before carefully flipping over and frying for a further 1 ½ minutes. Chop into wedges and serve with salad.