A carrot cake recipe with a lovely zingy orange topping that will give your recipe a twist. It's so easy to make and perfect for sharing.
- 175g (6oz) carrots, coarsely grated
- zest and juice 1 large orange
- 100g (4oz) walnut pieces
- 225ml (8fl oz) light olive oil
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising wholemeal flour (or plain wholemeal and 2tsp baking powder)
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 175g (6oz) light muscovado sugar
- 1tsp grated nutmeg
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 300g (10oz) full-fat cream cheese
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar
- grated zest of 1 large orange, plus more, shredded, to decorate
- 20cm (8in) round deep cake tin, oiled and bottom lined with baking parchment
Heat the oven to 150C, gas 2. Place the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat until well blended. Place in the cake tin and spread until level. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and orange zest, and spread over the cake. Decorate with the shredded orange zest.