Try our delicious carrot cake recipe - the lovely zingy orange topping will give your recipe a twist and it's so easy to make. Perfect for sharing.
- 175g (6oz) carrots, coarsely grated
- zest and juice 1 large orange
- 100g (4oz) walnut pieces
- 225ml (8fl oz) light olive oil
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising wholemeal flour (or plain wholemeal and 2tsp baking powder)
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 175g (6oz) light muscovado sugar
- 1tsp grated nutmeg
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 300g (10oz) full-fat cream cheese
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar
- grated zest of 1 large orange, plus more, shredded, to decorate
- 20cm (8in) round deep cake tin, oiled and bottom lined with baking parchment
Heat the oven to 150C, gas 2. Place the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat until well blended. Place in the cake tin and spread until level. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and orange zest, and spread over the cake. Decorate with the shredded orange zest.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up