Banana bread is a quick and simple recipe to make, perfect for a snack or afternoon tea.
If you're looking for a indulgent bite to go with your afternoon cup of tea (opens in new tab), then try out this spiced banana bread recipe.
With rum, sultanas and cinnamon on the ingredients list, this recipe offers an interesting twist on the great British classic without loads of extra time and effort required. We're using the ripest of bananas (opens in new tab) in this recipe as well, to make sure that it gets that essential sweet finish in the cake that makes banana bread so unique.
For delicious banana bread that comes out perfectly every time, try this sumptuous spiced banana bread recipe.
More twists on great classics can be found with our selection of the best cake recipes (opens in new tab). Or check out other tasty banana bread recipe, like this chocolate chip and brazil nut banana bread.
- 100g (4oz) sultanas
- 50ml (2fl oz) rum
- 185g (6½oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 125g (4½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) light soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 175ml (6fl oz) double cream
- 40g (1½oz) unsalted butter
- 200g (7oz) Green Blacks maya chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ tsp edible gold glitter to dust
- In a small pan pour the rum over the sultanas and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to soak.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/325F/Gas 3. Place flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and cinnamon in large bowl and combine well.
- In a separate bowl mix the butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one by one beating well after each addition. Then stir through the mashed bananas, sultanas & rum and the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and pour into a 900g (2lb) loaf tin. Bake for 1-1¼ hours until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan to just boiling then take off the heat. Add the finely chopped chocolate and leave for 5 minutes to melt before gently stirring into the cream. Leave to cool and thicken slightly before pouring over the cooled cake and sprinkling with edible gold glitter.
Top Tip for making Spiced banana bread
If you are making this for kids top with milk chocolate and scatter with dried banana rounds
A digital health journalist with over five years experience writing and editing for UK publications, Grace has covered the world of health and wellbeing extensively for Cosmopolitan, The i Paper and more.
She started her career writing about the complexities of sex and relationships, before combining personal hobbies with professional and writing about fitness. Everything from the best protein powder to sleep technology, the latest health trend to nutrition essentials, Grace has a huge spectrum of interests in the wellness sphere. Having reported on the coronavirus pandemic since the very first swab, she now also counts public health among them.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Oven-Baked Chicken Breasts with Chorizo and Chickpeas
By Rebecca Smith • Published
Afternoon Tea Berry Jam
By Jane Curran • Published
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Queen's 'very important' afternoon tea order revealed by royal chef
The Queen would enjoy afternoon tea no matter where she was in the world, according to her former royal chef, Darren McGrady
By Emma Dooney • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William's luxurious £3.3K airport snack revealed
Kate Middleton and Prince William's airport meal is a lot fancier than a plain old sandwich and is all you can eat AND drink
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Why Giuseppe deserved to win the Great British Bake Off 2021
Bake Off viewers have been shocked as Giuseppe has won the competition instead of Chigs but here's why Giuseppe deserved his win
By Laura Harman • Published