For a twist on a classic Easter recipe, give these gorgeous hot cross buns a go this year and you'll not be disappointed. They make a wonderful Easter cake alternative and really switch up your usual hot cross buns.
HOW TO MAKE MINI CHOCOLATE AND ORANGE HOT CROSS BUNS
- Place the yeast in a bowl and mix with 1 tbsp caster sugar. Pour over 4 tbsp warm milk and leave to foam for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl add the flour, 125g (4½oz) sugar, salt, spices, zest and butter and using the tips of your finger rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the dried fruit and chocolate chips.
- Pour in the yeast mixture, juice of 1 orange and most of the remaining milk. Mix to a sticky dough adding more milk if you need it. Knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place on a baking sheet and cover with lightly oiled cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1- 2 hours to rise or until doubled in size.
- Divide into 24 equal balls and place in rows almost touching each other on a large baking tray. Recover with the greased cling film and leave for another hour to double in size again.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/375F/Gas 5. Brush the egg yolk mixture over the buns. Mix the flour with 1 tbsp melted butter and spoon into a piping bag with plain nozzle. Pipe a cross on each bun and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Heat the remaining 50g (2oz) sugar with the juice of half an orange until dissolved. Brush over the buns and allow to cool.
- 1 x 7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 250ml (9fl oz) semi skimmed milk, warm
- 600g (1lb 5oz) strong white bread flour
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 oranges, zest & juice
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter, plus 1 tbsp melted
- 125g (4½oz) mixed dried fruit
- 100g (4oz) chocolate chips
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with 1 tbsp milk
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
Top Tip for making Mini Chocolate And Orange Hot Cross Buns
If you have any of these leftover they would make a yummy hot cross bun bread and butter pudding!
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The bittersweet reason Prince William once dreamed of being a policeman
A royal insider has reported that despite his royal destiny to become King, Prince William once dreamed of being a policeman
By Laura Harman • Published
Queen will not address the nation when she reaches this historic landmark next month
The Queen will not speak to the public when she passes her Platinum Jubilee on 6 February, according to a royal expert
By Emma Dooney • Published
This TikTok hack promises to help you fall asleep in TWO minutes
Another TikTok trend has gone viral and we can see why!
By Lucy Gornall • Published