By Jane Curran published
With more eggs than traditional pancakes this deliciously savoury Asian-style dish is a little bit like a mix of an omelette and a pancake. These are unlikely to be like any you have tasted before; full of fish and flavour, they contrast thin pancakes with chunky fillings perfectly. We love the juicy prawns as a filling but if you prefer you could use a little cooked chicken instead.
HOW TO MAKE KOREAN PANCAKES
- 100g squid, cut into small pieces or rings
- 100g raw king prawns
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 100g plain flour
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 2-3 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 6 spring onions, sliced lengthways
- 1/2 each green and red chilli, finely chopped
For the dipping sauce:
- 4 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Put the seafood into a bowl with the garlic, sesame seeds and oil, and season. In a separate bowl, mix the flours and eggs; slowly whisk in 150ml cold water. Season.
- Put a 22cm non-stick shallow frying pan over a medium heat; add the sunflower oil. When hot, reduce the heat; ladle in two-thirds of the batter. Spread out the spring onions onto the pancake; add the chillies and seafood. Drizzle over the remaining batter, pressing it with a fish slice.
- Fry over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the bottom is set then carefully invert the pancake onto a plate and slide it back into the pan and fry for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the fish is cooked and the pancake is golden and crispy. Serve in slices with the dipping sauce.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Victim blaming—how Ashling Murphy's murder highlights internalized misogyny in the UK
Ashling Murphy's recent murder has highlighted the UK and Ireland's continued issue with victim blaming
By Laura Harman • Published
These are the highest-earning breakup songs on Spotify
Because everyone loves a good breakup song...
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Prince Harry 'desperate' to get back to UK as he still wants Lilibet to receive royal christening
Prince Harry 'will make an effort' to return to the UK this year to give Lilibet a royal christening
By Robyn Morris • Published