By Jane Curran
This tomato tart with caramelised red onions is very simple to prepare and makes the most of the different varieties of tomatoes in season. The sweet caramelised onions bring out the natural flavour of the tomatoes to give a delicious and crowd-pleasing tart that is the perfect dish for al fresco lunches or a late summer dinner party starter. Once you’ve made your caramelised onions, which can be prepared in advance, this tomato tart couldn’t be easier to prepare. Ready made puff pastry can be bought in most supermarkets and is much less of a hassle than making your own. The all-butter varieties give the best results, but pastry made with margarine can be used to make this recipe suitable for vegans.
British tomatoes are in season from June until October, and this tomato tart is a great way to use up a surplus of seasonal tomatoes. Our recipe for delicious slow roasted tomatoes is another great way to celebrate this healthy and flavour packed ingredient. For more ideas with tomatoes have a look at our tomato recipe collection.
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO TART WITH CARAMELISED RED ONIONS
- Cook the onions in a sauté pan with the oil until softened, about 40 mins. Add the vinegar and sugar, stir well until the sugar has dissolved and set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Roll out the pastry to about ½cm thick to a rectangle and lightly score with a knife 3cm in from the edge. Spread the onions over the pastry base and top with the sliced tomatoes. Bake the tart for 25 mins or until browned and crisp at the edges. Serve immediately with a green salad.
- 5 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp brown sugar
- 375g all-butter puff pastry
- 500g tomatoes, thickly sliced
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks •
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks •
Friands with gooseberry and hazelnut
These friands with gooseberry and hazelnut make the most of the fruit's short season
By Samuel Goldsmith •
These Molton Brown Black Friday deals are still available—get up to 45% off today
There are still plenty of Molton Brown Black Friday deals to be had—and you can save up to 45% on some of their best products
By Emma Dooney •
Hard-working Princess Anne hailed as 'credit to the royal family' as she launches back into work following pandemic
The Princess Royal has long been known as one of, if not the, hardest working royal and she’s back to business
By Jack Slater •
Meghan Markle's favorite candle is on sale—after fans spotted it inside her LA home
Meghan Markle's favorite candle was spotted in a rare glimpse inside her and Prince Harry's LA home—here's the 411 on how to bag yours!
By Amy Hunt •